Working in Government
A willingness to serve and the ability to apply a deep understanding of the context in which the APS operates.
All public servants must have an understanding of Australia’s system of government and how to work effectively within it.
Working in Government requires an understanding of the context in which the APS operates and the ability to be responsive and agile, providing rigorous advice to the government of the day.
Effectively working in government represents a willingness to serve and requires:
- Knowing Australia’s system of government and the Australian Public Service's role in it
- Being responsive and providing rigorous advice to decision makers
- Understanding the budget process and how the APS contributes to its development
- Leading the development of legislation and policy and working within it
- Being accountable to the ministers, under legislation and within Parliamentary oversight and transparency mechanisms