Building capability is never complete. It requires ongoing personal reflection and effort, along with organisational commitment. Establishment of the APS Academy demonstrates that commitment, presenting an opportunity to reinvigorate the way we invest in you.
The APS Academy is underpinned by a learning model that promotes continuous learning. Moving away from a traditional view that learning is classroom based, the Academy embraces the theory that we learn every day across all of our experiences, challenges and successes.
The APS Academy operates under five key principles:
- Focus on building APS Craft capability; the capabilities fundamental to high performance as a public servant.
- Develop and deliver practitioner-led learning; bringing the experience and expertise of the APS into every stage of learning from analysis and design to delivery and evaluation. This is underpinned by the APS Academy Faculty.
- Connect L&D practice; connecting the best in learning across the APS through the Academy, increasing reach and ensuring greater collaboration and coordination.
- Leverage external partners; working with external partners to leverage research, expertise and learning and development offerings for the APS.
- Drive efficiency and efficacy through good governance; working within a governance framework that connects organisational priorities with outcomes.
The APS Academy offers learning across four primary methods to ensure you can take control of your own learning and development:
- Resources – templates, frameworks, videos and research available on demand.
- Courses – formal learning initiatives structured to meet identified learning objectives.
- Work – stretch assignments, secondments, group problem solving and reflection to maximise the lessons in work.
- People – networks, communities of practice and knowledge sharing to learn from those around you.
A glossary of commonly used learning and development terms is available.