Introduction to Regulation
This e-learning aims to deepen the understanding and skills of participants in a range of core regulation knowledge and concepts. Participants will engage in learning focused on the nature and purpose of regulation, regulatory agencies and regulated entities, regulatory officers and making regulatory decisions, regulatory tools, compliance and enforcement, the legal basis of regulation and the legal responsibilities of regulators. This is a fully online self-paced module, supported by a reflective participant workbook.
- Explain the purpose and benefits of regulation.
- Identify the basic principles of regulatory practice.
- Explain the role of regulatory agencies and how they operate.
- Describe the range of regulated entities.
- Identify the responsibilities of regulatory practitioners.
- Explain how regulatory decisions are made (including the balance between predictability, discretion and defensible decision-making).
- Identify the different types of regulatory tools.
- Describe how these tools are used to achieve regulatory compliance.
- Define the legal basis of regulation.
- Explain how legislation is put into regulatory practice.
APS 1 – EL 2
Craft and User level
This program aligns with the Working in Government Craft at the Foundation level.