Regulatory Impact Analysis
The Office of Best Practice Regulation (OBPR) is located within the Economic Division of the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. The OBPR is responsible for administering the Government’s Regulatory Impact Analysis (RIA) framework.
The RIA framework is designed to support the creation of good policy, supported by high quality evidence. The framework comprises seven key questions:
- What is the problem you are trying to solve?
- Why is Government action needed?
- What policy options are you considering?
- What is the likely net benefit of each option?
- Who will you consult and how will you consult them?
- What is the best option from those you have considered?
- How will you implement and evaluate your chosen option?
- Creation of strong policy for agencies.
- Proven methodology to achieve policy creation objectives.
- Expert coaching on Regulation Impact Statement.
APS 1 - EL 2
These RIA questions form the Regulation Impact Statement (RIS) that a department or agency will complete and provide to decision makers. When these questions are answered with strong research, evidence and consultation, decision makers can be assured that they are well informed of the issues surrounding a particular policy when they come to a decision point.
The OBPR coaches departments and agencies through the process of building a RIS, and provides training to APS graduates and officers to build capacity under the RIA framework.
If you are interested in attending OBPR training, or would like to organise training for your team, please contact the office at helpdesk-OBPR@pmc.gov.au or 02 6271 6270.
Craft and User Level
This Framework aligns with the Strategy, Policy & Evaluation Craft at the Foundation level.
This content has been provided by Office of Best Practice Regulation