APS Change Framework
This content has been provided by the Department of Home Affairs
The APS Change Framework has been designed by the APS Change Management Centre of Excellence (the Portfolio Change Stewardship Office in the Department of Home Affairs) with input from stakeholders across the APS. This is the first time a change management framework has been designed by the APS, for the APS, to enable the practice and to contribute to sustainable APS-wide enterprise change management.
This Framework and supporting templates are for anyone managing or supporting change across the Australian Public Service (APS).
- The Framework is perfect for change experts and those new to implementing change, offering guidance and prompting questions to support your change planning and delivery.
- It’s structured to help you adopt change management practices and principles and build your organisations change management capability.
- No matter what your organisation’s change management maturity, the Framework will help you support specific change initiatives by:
- Understanding the change - what’s changing and why?
- Assessing the change - the impacts and stakeholders
- Managing the change - identifying, developing and delivering the approach and specific activities to support staff through the change
- Embedding the change - so the objectives are met for the organisation.
The Framework is flexible and adaptable to all types and sizes of change.
- It offers a best practice approach to structuring and supporting your change.
- It’s flexible and able to be paired with a range of change models, meaning you can tailor your approach to the specific needs of your change.
- The Framework includes templates which align to each stage and are designed to be accessible, logically structured and easy to use.
The APS Change Management Centre of Excellence provides advice, resources, support and a range of change management services across government. If you would like additional information, or support in implementing the Framework in your organisation, reach out to the APS Change Management Centre of Excellence.
APS 5 - SES Band 3
Craft and User Level
This aligns with the Implementation & Services Craft at the Foundation level.
APS Change Framework (PDF - 605.55 KB)
Change Overview (DOCX - 124.46 KB)
Guide for Managing Small-Medium Changes (DOCX - 103.92 KB)
Change Context (DOCX - 132.13 KB)
Change Impact Assessment (DOCX - 174.84 KB)
Change Readiness Assessment (DOCX - 134.58 KB)
Change Management Plan (DOCX - 223.31 KB)
Stakeholder Engagement and Communication Plan (DOCX - 132.77 KB)
Sponsor Brief (DOCX - 131.52 KB)
Training Plan (DOCX - 131.39 KB)
Transition and Support Plan (DOCX - 135.27 KB)
Post Implementation Review (DOCX - 128.26 KB)
Change Management; Leading in the APS; Strategic Thinking; Leadership; Service Design;