This courses provides an understanding of the system of government and its operations as fundamental to working effectively in the APS. To successfully support ministers, parliamentary secretaries and the whole of government, all APS staff need to have an understanding of the role of the APS and the processes that underpin the Australian system of government and correspondingly, their roles and responsibilities within this system.
- Explain the structure and functions of the APS as it relates to the Australian system of government.
- Explain the constitutional framework. the federated system of government and the separation of powers.
- Differentiate the roles and accountabilities of ministers, ministerial staff and APS staff.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the parliamentary process.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the legislative process.
- Explain the budget process and the role of Senate Estimates.
APS 1 - APS 6
Craft and User Level
This program aligns with the Working in Government Craft at the Foundation level.
Working in teams
This content has been provided by the APS Academy.