Australian Public Service Graduate Development Program
The Australian Public Service (APS) Graduate Development Program (the Program) is specifically designed for Graduates across the APS.
It develops the foundational skills, behaviours, mindsets and networks Graduates need to make a significant contribution in the APS.
The Program is delivered using cohort-based social learning and combines learning in synchronous and asynchronous modes. This approach aligns with the principles of the APS Continuous Learning Model.
Participants advance through the Program together, as a group, with opportunities to interact and apply learnings. They have access to information and resources to support effective work-integrated learning, including project-based group work.
Graduates take part in synchronous learning experiences involving real-time interactions, such as live learning webinars and the Whole of APS Graduate Event Series. They also engage in asynchronous learning experiences, completing course work and assignments in their own time.
The Program brings Graduates together from across the service to build their understanding of the broader APS and foster peer networking and cross-agency collaboration.
It can be delivered at scale for a geographically dispersed cohort who can access it through the social learning platform anywhere, any time.
The Program includes:
- Welcome event – in person event in Canberra.
- 10 learning courses – each including a live learning session accessed through the social learning platform.
- Access to the APS Graduate Development Program community – peer networking and discussion through the social learning platform.
- Up to 3 individual coaching sessions.
- Access to the Whole of APS Graduate Event Series including:
- in person events in Canberra and
- virtual events.
- Graduation event – in person event in Canberra.
Key dates for the 2024 Program are:
- November 2023 – agencies to express interest and provide indicative participant numbers
- January 2024 – final cut-off for agency registrations
- February 2024 – Program launch
- December 2024 – Graduation.
Graduates can use successful completion of the Program for articulation to:
- Master of Public Administration, Australian National University
- Master of Public Policy, Australian National University
- Master of Public Policy, Monash University
- CPA Australia (reduction of one year for the practical CPA).
Whole of APS Graduate Event Series
The Whole of APS Graduate Event Series (Event Series) brings together Graduates from across the APS in a series of informative and interactive workshops. All APS Graduates can participate in these opportunities to learn about key APS issues and themes whilst expanding their networks across the service.
Events are held virtually, and in person in Canberra, between March and November. Event topics and formats vary from year to year to maintain relevance and benefit to Graduates.
The 2024 Event Series will include:
Four virtual events which include a mix of practical topics and contemporary themes:
- Acknowledge This! – A 2-hour interactive session on delivering an authentic Acknowledgement of Country.
- Superannuation 101 for Graduates – A 2-hour session on the basics of superannuation delivered by experts from the Commonwealth Superannuation Corporation which discusses the different types of contributions, investment options, and tax implications associated with superannuation.
- Current APS Theme: Integrity – 90-minute session prompting graduates to consider integrity and what it means for their career in the APS and provide tangible examples to assist them to navigate the issues that may arise in the workplace.
- Current APS Theme: Q&A on APS Reform – 90-minute session on key aspects related to APS Reform, including initiatives and projects delivered in partnership with APS practitioners.
Two in person events. Indicative themes:
- Masterclass Theme: Innovation in the APS - Full day event focused on developing mindsets, behaviours and techniques used to innovate in public service work.
- Grad Hackathon Theme: Megatrends - Full day event on Grad Hackathon megatrends to develop problem-solving skills, encourage collaboration and build APS-wide networks for APS graduates. The Hackathon is designed to enhance the ‘foresight literacy’ of emerging APS graduates as a professional capability in understanding and navigating uncertain futures.
Agencies may complement their own graduate programs with one of the following packages:
- Whole of APS Graduate Event Series package (all events)
- Virtual events only package
- In person events only package
- Individual events, by arrangement.
Dates for the 2024 Events Series will be made available towards the end of 2023.
Registration in the APS Graduate Development Program includes access to the Whole of APS Graduate Event Series.
Through the APS Academy, agencies can buy individual coaching packages for their Graduates. Coaching is a unique and valuable opportunity usually reserved for senior executives. It provides participants extra support throughout their Graduate year.
Experienced coaches guide conversations in a safe and confidential environment. They help graduates explore their goals and challenges and identify actionable steps for achieving their goals and working through their challenges.
APS Graduate Development Program includes up to 3 individual coaching sessions.
Register and find out more
To find out more or register your agency's Graduates in 2024 contact email@example.com.