The APS Graduate Development Program
The APS Graduate Development Program is a 10-month generalist development pathway offered to new APS graduates by the APS Academy. The program develops APS graduates at scale using a whole-of-government approach and with a focus on core APS craft.
Learning is delivered and practical development is supported using a range of methods, including: online materials; self-directed individual and group activities; workshops; team SES briefings; individual and group coaching; supervisor training and an agency-based team major project.
Graduates are enrolled in the program by their employing agency and complete it as a requirement of their graduate year.
The schedule of all courses, activities, coaching and submission is set at the beginning of the year from orientation in February to graduation in December. Topics covered and practised during the graduate development program include:
- Administrative decision making
- Dealing with change
- Scoping and planning projects, including stakeholders, communications, risk and outcomes.
- Written and spoken communication in the APS
- Briefing and advising senior decision-makers
- Managing Self
- Collaboration and relationships
- Policy development
- Financial management
- Career development.
Successful completion of the Graduate Development Program can be used for articulation to:
- Master of Public Administration, Australian National University
- Master of Public Policy, Australian National University
- Master of Public Policy, Monash University
- CPA Australia (reduction of one year for the practical CPA).
For further information or to discuss participation in the APS Graduate Development Program please contact the email@example.com