MasterCraft Series - ‘You can’t be what you can’t see’: exposing and decoding bias
Are you concerned about the impact of bias on our society and how it affects everything from job opportunities to data-driven decision-making? Join us for an eye-opening seminar that delves into the importance of recognising and challenging bias in today's world. Despite increased public discussion around inclusiveness and diversity, bias remains a pervasive issue in our society. In fact, the acceleration of algorithmic tools that rely on aggregated data has made it easier than ever for unconscious bias to influence decision-making in areas such as healthcare and government policy.
This seminar will provide you with practical tools and insights from academic and non-government thought leaders to help you recognise and mitigate bias in your areas of responsibility. You'll gain a deeper understanding of how conscious and unconscious bias can impact your decision-making and learn how to address it in a tangible way. The seminar will be in-person, with an option for online for those not based in Canberra. Face-to-face is encouraged as the seminar is designed to be a conversation, commencing with initial thought-provoking presentations and followed by an interactive panel discussion.
It is convened and led by the Australian Council of Learned Academies (ACOLA) with the APS Academy, to facilitate deep discussion between experts, practitioners and policymakers.
Facilitator and Panellists
To be announced.
- A practical and tangible understanding of how conscious and unconscious bias operate in our society, and how to recognize and address them.
- Develop a deeper understanding of the challenges other Portfolios and senior public service are facing.
- Insights into how bias can influence data-driven decision-making, and strategies for mitigating bias in your organization's decision-making processes.
- The opportunity to learn from academic and non-government thought leaders who are leading the charge in addressing bias in our society.
- Tools and actionable strategies for public sector leaders to mitigate bias within their areas of responsibility, and create a more equitable and inclusive workplace culture.
APS 1 – SES Band 3
Craft and User level
This workshop aligns with the Leadership and Management Craft at the Foundation level.
Free of charge