APS HR Foundational Learning Series Module 4: APS recruitment to induction
This module provides a foundational understanding of best practice to attract, select and retain the right person for the job.
APS recruitment processes need to support sound, evidence-based decision making. The Public Service Act 1999 requires that engagement and promotion decisions in the APS are based on merit. Induction involves welcoming new employees and preparing them for their role in the APS. Its role is to familiarise people with the unique requirements and guidelines for working in the APS.
The content for this module has been provided by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO), with the support of the Australian Public Service Commission (APSC) and Merit Protection Commissioner (MPC).
- Outline relevant legislation and principles that guide APS recruitment and selection.
- Describe the APS merit-based recruitment requirements.
- List APS advertising requirements and best practice to attract high-calibre applicants.
- Describe the selection process and how selection decisions are made.
- Explain the role of affirmative measures to support diversity and inclusion.
- Describe the basic requirements of an engaging induction process.
APS 1 – EL 1 HR professionals, and any other professionals interested in the topic.
APS Professional Stream and User level
HR Professional Stream at the foundation level