Leading Regulatory Systems - SES
This course helps senior regulatory executives and understand and better navigate an environment where new forms of complexity, risk and technology are multiplying challenges for regulators. Regulatory issues covered in this course include Australia’s regulatory landscape, meta-regulation, regulatory complexity, risk assessment, responsiveness, compliance, regulating disruptive technology and managing stakeholders.
This course is suitable for people who currently lead regulatory portfolios and projects in government agencies, or who will do so in the future.
- Identify and define core ideas in regulation and compliance.
- Demonstrate and understand, at a more advanced level, a selection of theories that inform foundational regulatory ideas.
- Describe and debate the advantages and limits of different regulatory instruments and approaches in the Australian context.
- Analyse the role and influence of a diverse range of regulatory actors.
- Interpret selected Australian and international case studies and apply these insights to everyday regulatory challenges faced by government agencies.
SES Band 1 – SES Band 3 in regulatory agencies.
The Leading Regulatory Systems course consists of 8 learning modules and a pre-course meet and greet session. Additional details can be found in the course flyer and event session below.
The modules are:
- Who regulates?
- The regulatory toolkit
- Choosing the right regulatory approach
- Authorising environment and social licence
- Applying behavioural insights to compliance and enforcement
- Compliance and defiance
- Digital, technological and social transformation
- Case-study workshop: regulatory choices in context
Each module consists of the following:
- 90-minute live session with presenters (virtual classroom using MS Teams).
- 20–40 minute pre-recorded lecture covering core topics from the module – available to revisit at any time.
- Recommended readings, videos and self-paced activities associated with each module.
In addition participants will have access to a pre-course ‘tech check’ (scheduled drop-in sessions to check that your technology is working in advance of course start).
Craft and User level
This program aligns with the Implementation and Services craft at the Lead level.
This content has been provided by the APS Academy.